KIRKPATRICK JUXTA PARISH CHURCH AND WAMPHRAY PARISH CHURCH
We are delighted to have the linked Parishes of Kirkpatrick Juxta and Wamphray affiliated with our congregation in Moffat.
KIRKPATRICK JUXTA PARISH CHURCH
Kirkpatrick Juxta Parish Church is half a mile outside the Village of Beattock, approx. 3 miles from Moffat. This came about because of the establishment of a church on its present site, which goes back to 1174; a school and small settlement developed around the Kirk. However, in the 1850s the railway came through the area and a station was built in Beattock, at which time many railway workers lived in houses built by the railway. Hence we have a village with a different name to the Parish. The church is Beattock’s only place of worship and we feel it is important to preserve this. The Church Graveyard reflects the history of the area and is popular with families researching their family trees. Inside the Church there are four embroidered panels, which depict the development of the Church.
Mrs Mary Brown
Services are held at 9.45am weekly. Tea, coffee and cakes are available after the service, when we have time to catch up with one another and share news.
As announced. Please follow us on Facebook for the latest information.
WAMPHRAY PARISH CHURCH
Wamphray Parish Church sits in the tranquil Wamphray Glen, around 10 miles south of Moffat.
The name Wamphray derives its name, in the Gaelic signifying "the deep glen in the forest", from the situation of its church in a sequestered and thickly-wooded vale on the south side of the Water of Wamphray. The church, situated nearly in the centre of the Parish, is a traditional rural stone built building, erected in 1834.
Mrs Helen Braid
CLERK TO THE CONGREGATIONAL BOARD
Mrs Linda McMinn
Mrs Sheila Thomson